A powerful, thought-provoking insight....

Give me a well-trained tongue that has been borne out of silent listening in the sanctuary of my heart.

~ sevensacredpauses by Macrina Wiederkehr



Thursday, May 28, 2009

Ahhh Fog Out My Window

I was surprised to see fog as I looked out the window this morning.  I love fog.  Rarely in this part of the city do we see really good fog.  That thick, impenetrable almost liquid stuff.  That fog we see in old English movies.  The kind that, in monster movies, swirls around the feet of the unknowing victims as the monster creeps ever closer . . . Yep, I like fog.

There's a lot of fog on a spiritual journey, you know.  A friend of mine would probably say, "Oh yeah, that's the 'cloud of unknowing'."  Well, maybe.  I think it's God's way of keeping us in the moment, not letting us see too far down the path so that we stay focused on what is immediately before us, the work at hand.  Fog, to me, is beautiful first and foremost.  And mysterious and exciting.  Wow -- I just described my vision of God.   Fog is also elusive -- you can't gather it in and put in a box to save for later.  Fog is restorative.  If you've ever taken an early morning walk in the fog -- oooo, my skin always loves that!  The feeling of these tiny particles of water ever so gently resting on my face is an incredible experience.  I think of the Peace of God as a fog like that.  Especially when I need it so badly!  The Peace of God that passes ALL understanding -- yep - God Fog.  


No comments: