A powerful, thought-provoking insight....

Give me a well-trained tongue that has been borne out of silent listening in the sanctuary of my heart.

~ sevensacredpauses by Macrina Wiederkehr



Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Going the Distance

When God calls you to something, that means that God has prepared you for something.  What has God called me to?  God has called me to go the distance with folks who are taking care of people.  God has called me to revisit a painful place in my life -- dealing with the pitfalls and pain of Alzheimer's Disease and other mental illnesses.  In my life, I have gone the distance.  I have been the "last [wo]man standing" where others have fallen away.  What kept me there?  What kept me going?  I'm not positive, but I think God did.  God knew that I needed to know.  God knew I needed to know what it felt like to be that last one.  God knew I needed to know what it felt like to bear witness to those last moments with someone.  God knew I needed to know what it felt like to say goodbye to someone who may or may not have been aware I was there, or if they were, might not have known who I was.

God knew because God had a plan.  God had a plan for my life.  God has a plan for each of our lives.  What have you been prepared for?  What might God call you to do and be to use all of that preparation?

No comments: