A powerful, thought-provoking insight....

Give me a well-trained tongue that has been borne out of silent listening in the sanctuary of my heart.

~ sevensacredpauses by Macrina Wiederkehr



Friday, July 18, 2008

Time

Time. It's interesting how one's experience of it changes over the years. It's mathematical, actually. The older you get, the smaller percentage of your lifetime each year represents. So one year when you're 4 is so much greater than one year when you're 25. But is it?

Slowing down. Is it possible? My life right now is at "warp speed" a friend of mine told me today. Among my commitments as a wife, mother, and student, I am living my spiritual life. My spiritual life is interwoven, like a slippery golden thread, among my other "lives". I am wrestling with learning a new vocabulary to use with my beloved so that he can begin to understand a little of my journey. Commitments to my children and their school as a PTA board member are pulling on my mind. My excitement and anxiety about upcoming classes of my own are distracting. However, I am finding time each and every day to stop and converse with God. That is my golden thread. I tell God about everything: my worries, my joys, my plans, my desires. Then, I listen. I attend to what God is trying to tell me. I love these times. I feel myself resting so securely in God's hands. God's hand on my back steadying me when I'm afraid, anxious, excited, whatever. I feel a deep joy knowing God is there.

The joy runs deep because I realize I am in the presence of God. That is the journey, not just the destination.

No comments: