A powerful, thought-provoking insight....

Give me a well-trained tongue that has been borne out of silent listening in the sanctuary of my heart.

~ sevensacredpauses by Macrina Wiederkehr



Friday, July 25, 2008

The Road Trip

As we prepare for our yearly road trip vacation to the middle of nowhere in Kentucky, I am drawn to compare those preparations to those I've been making for my spiritual journey. Each year, we think about what we took the last year that we didn't need, what we forgot, what we wish we had brought and try to pack accordingly for the current year. I've sort of done that with my spiritual journey this past spring. I've spent a significant amount of time pondering that baggage I've been carrying around for years that I really don't need. I've attempted to remember a lot of what I feel I have forgotten about who I am spiritually, and I've definitely determined what I'd like to "pack" for the next leg of the journey.

What remains to be seen is where the next leg of this journey is taking me. I'm used to knowing exactly the destination. Part of what I'm learning is "leaving the driving" to God. Pretty much though, I've got the clothes for the trip. I've got the first aid kit, and I've got the food to keep me going on the long haul. Just as I am SO excited about this vacation, I am also SO excited about the spiritual road trip I've begun and hope to be on for a long time!

No comments: