A powerful, thought-provoking insight....

Give me a well-trained tongue that has been borne out of silent listening in the sanctuary of my heart.

~ sevensacredpauses by Macrina Wiederkehr



Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Transitions

We all are born in transition. We scream in anger when we have to transition into an air breathing, lung-using being. We scream in discomfort when we have to work for nourishment. Most of us continue screaming, in some way, when confronted with transition. Moving out of one way of being into another -- that's what a spiritual journey encompasses for me. I have enjoyed the journey so far. Some of my emotional transitions, the letting go of past hurts and turmoils, have been hard. It's been hard looking at them again, it's been hard prying my fingers off the "big black gnarly box" holding them in order to put it in the dumpster in my head. But, I have not wanted to turn away from any of it.

Why is that? In spilling myself out, I am filling myself up -- filling myself up with joy and contentment. The joy comes from being aware of the presence of God's holy Spirit within me and around me. The contentment comes from the knowledge that God is with me all the time. The God of endurance, God of compassion, God of lovingkindness. As I have continued to explore my relationship with God, I've come to recognize the presence of God everywhere I look. Even in the people I don't understand, that I don't like, that I don't know or even want to know. I believe that's the way God made me and that's the way I am supposed to feel. It's realizing that when I'm not with people in this way and I'm not feeling the way I'm meant to feel that I don't feel good. I lose that joy and contentment. It's becoming easier all the time to recognize my own symptoms.

No comments: