A powerful, thought-provoking insight....

Give me a well-trained tongue that has been borne out of silent listening in the sanctuary of my heart.

~ sevensacredpauses by Macrina Wiederkehr



Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Autonomy

Small victories. Hard fought challenges. Lonely God-work. Community action. Family time. Resting in God. Frequent spiritual food. Trust. Questions. Answers. Reading. Writing. Pushing. Testing.

The amazing product of the above . . . autonomy. A reliance on my own spirituality, my own engagement and awareness of God, my own interpretation of God's action in my life. Autonomy in this instance is not definable in the standard way of "self-reliance," but rather reliance on an engagement or relationship with God to guide one's actions, to determine one's decisions, to balance one's relationships. Autonomy is not relying on or waiting for someone else's influence on one's actions or in one's decisions, creating an imbalance in the relationship.

No comments: