A powerful, thought-provoking insight....

Give me a well-trained tongue that has been borne out of silent listening in the sanctuary of my heart.

~ sevensacredpauses by Macrina Wiederkehr



Wednesday, January 13, 2010

That Space

I've recently welcomed home my heart to that spiritual space within myself where only God and I go. It's been a good homecoming, full of warm embraces and revealed dreams and desires. A friend told me that it sounded as though it was a good time for me to be reading more Rumi and the Song of Songs . . . oh yeah! Desiring to soak up times like this to sustain me so that if and when I leave that place and am unable to find my way back for a while . . . yeah . . . definitely Rumi and Song of Songs.

It's all about remembering that I am, we all are, beloved of God. Sometimes I forget that if I was not beloved of God, if the world was not beloved of God, where would I or the world be right now? How would I or we be able to exist? There have been times in my life when I have separated myself from God, locked the door to that place within. I found despair and loneliness waiting outside for me. I began drifting toward a precipice from which there was no return. That's when an instrument of God here on earth touched my shoulder, my heart and said, "I'm listening", wooing me back from the edge. I had to make the decision to stop, turn around, and make that first step away from the precipice which looked so inviting.

The key though was having someone listen, spiritually, empathetically, openly -- and not offering any solutions, suggestions, cures, etc. Just listening. The way I see God is as the most intimate, empathetic listener there is. I believe that's why Christ came -- to show us, to be with us. Be with us. Unless we've been somewhere, experienced some pain, how can we listen empathetically?

It's Wednesday. Hump day . . . I wonder what the rest of the week holds? Part of being in "that place" with God is that I feel more open, more aware of the opportunities that are presented, unfolded, provided . . . for listening, for forgiving, for confessing, for healing.

. . . for letting go and being loved.

No comments: