A powerful, thought-provoking insight....

Give me a well-trained tongue that has been borne out of silent listening in the sanctuary of my heart.

~ sevensacredpauses by Macrina Wiederkehr



Monday, October 20, 2008

Ministry Is About God Speaking Through Us

Well, last night just goes to serve as a reminder that God uses us as instruments of His work. I found out late yesterday afternoon that a member of our congregation's husband had died of a heart attack while out of town. This wonderful lady has been kind and gentle and supportive of me since I began attending my church. To have this happen in her life has made me so sad. I understand that her husband died while doing something he loved and that her faith will see her through her grief. That does nothing to assuage my grief, my memories -- which all came flooding back last night as I attempted to sing. I found myself standing in the chapel, standing in the place where my mother's coffin sat, singing about seeing my father, seeing my mother, seeing my Savior. I lost my voice. But God didn't. He spoke through my emotion. I see that now. The few who were in attendance last night got the message -- that this life has sickness, toil and danger, but in the bright world to which we go all of that is gone. We will find healing and wholeness and a complete relationship with Christ.

No comments: