A powerful, thought-provoking insight....

Give me a well-trained tongue that has been borne out of silent listening in the sanctuary of my heart.

~ sevensacredpauses by Macrina Wiederkehr



Saturday, February 27, 2010

Accepting the Fact of Being Called by God

Since the beginning of the year, God has been patiently putting people and situations in my hands. The hands God has called to do God's work. Now, I've realized that along the way. Yet, the effect is cumulative. What has happened over the last two weeks is a culmination of all of these situations, all of these God-given opportunities to pray with folks, to listen to them, to celebrate ritual with them, to break open the scriptures and learn alongside them, to work alongside them to build the Kingdom of God. The most amazing thing happened! All of it came together for me, came together in a way that made so much sense, brought me to an incredible place of joy. I have a yearning in my heart, placed there by God, to be a shepherd, to companion a flock into closer communion with God. My heart sings!

I look at the ministry I am working in right now, spiritually supporting caregivers, and realize that I have the beginnings of a flock. It's a new way of looking at what I do with and for these folks. There are so many beautiful ways God is in this ministry, working mercifully, compassionately to comfort people who give so much of themselves to others. I have been called to be a part of that comfort, an instrument of God's love and grace. It is amusing to me that I finally understand what God is doing in my heart, that I finally have stopped trying to fit God and this ministry into some kind of box and limit it. I have no idea how this will all work out, what it really means to have a flock, how that flock will look, or grow to be. The wonderful aspect to all of this is that God's ministry knows no bounds! Talk about ripples of grace! Indeed!

No comments: