A powerful, thought-provoking insight....

Give me a well-trained tongue that has been borne out of silent listening in the sanctuary of my heart.

~ sevensacredpauses by Macrina Wiederkehr



Thursday, November 13, 2008

My Soul Magnifies the Lord!

Our chancel choir sang that anthem on All Saints Sunday. It came out beautifully and we've all been sharing a recording of it. I listen to mine daily now with my devotions and prayers in the morning. It is a piece of music that makes my soul ache and soar at the same time. Beautiful.

I've been holding those feelings within me for several days. A soul aching and in flight at the same time. In listening for God's Word for me, daily, hourly, moment by moment, I have learned so much about what it is I am meant to be. Being surrounded by others who also listen to the guidance of the Holy Spirit has empowered me. I find myself looking at the possibilities of pastoral care, the tender shepherding, of folks who are suffering and afraid, who are tired and wired. I experience the Christ within me straightening my back under the emotional load of revisiting painful places in my own life while ministering to others, steadying my emotions, using them as fuel for compassion and empathy. I am beginning to feel and experience a deeper serenity, a deep happiness, a deep sense of purpose.

My soul aches from a sense of being over-full. I have been filled to overflowing with Christ's love. It is that overflow that will enable me to shepherd others in their fear and suffering, their exhaustion and their worry. My soul is in flight because of the indescribable joy I feel in the Presence.

"My spirit rejoices in God, my Savior."

No comments: